Google has recently launched Android O Developer Preview. Although there is no news about the final release, you can certainly install Android O on various Google-powered Android device within moments. Though this time the procedure is quite difficult to execute yet you can install Android O Developer Preview on Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, and Nexus Player. Previously, Google rolled out the preview update as OTA. However, this time you need to flash the official image on your device to get the update. What following is the exact and simple user guide to install Android O Developer Preview on any Pixel and Nexus device.
Install Android O Developer Preview on Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, Nexus 6P and 5X
Before installing Android O Developer Preview or flashing the image file, you should know what you are about to face.
- Your data will be deleted. However, you can get them back if you have backup.
- Unlocked bootloader on any device mentioned earlier.
- USB cable to connect your device to computer.
- Fastboot and ADB installed on your device.
- Windows or Linux computer.
- The flash boot image that you can download from here.
Before getting into the core process, you should have to enable USB debugging on your Android device. For that, go to Settings and tap on the Build Number on the respective page 7 times. It will show you a flash message if you have successfully enabled Developer options. Following that, you can toggle the USB Debugging option from Settings > Developer options.
Unlock Bootloader of Android Device
To flash the official Android O Developer Preview image on any supported Android device, you need to unlock bootloader of that device. XDA Developers forum has a very useful tool to get it done. They have developed a tool called ADB Installer. You can install that software on your computer to run it further. Therefore, download ADB Installer from XDA Developer forum from here. Therefore, follow the following steps to unlock bootloader.
- At first, connect your device to your computer using USB cable. You can also do the same in the second step.
- Start your Android device in Flash mode. To do so, you have to shut down your device, press power button and Volume up button together to start your Android device in flash mode.
- Therefore, you have to open Command Prompt on your Windows computer. Enter the following command in your Command prompt.
- You will get a serial number on your screen. This is the same serial number of your connected mobile or another Android device.
- Therefore you have to enter the following command to unlock the bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
- It should not take more than a minute to complete the pending process. Following that, enter the following command to reboot your device,
- If you do not restart your device, it won’t complete the bootloader unlocking process.
Now as your bootloader of Android device has been unlocked, you can flash the official Android O Developer Preview image on your device. To do so, follow the following steps.
Flash Android O Developer Preview Image on Nexus of Pixel Device
This is quite easier than aforementioned steps.
- In this case, you again need to connect your device to your computer using USB cable, and this is the first step.
- Now restart your Android device in flash mode or fast boot mode. You can check the connectivity of your computer and Android device by entering the following command,
- You will find the corresponding serial number of your connected device.
- Now open the zipped folder and extract all the files.
- Here you can certainly find one file called flash-all.bat or flash-all.sh. If you are using Linux, open the .sh file and if you are using Windows, open the .bat
- Now you do not have to do anything else since everything will be done automatically.
- Just do not touch your mobile or do anything on your mobile. Also, do not press any key at all. That may damage your device permanently.
That’s it! This is as simple as said. However, the problem is Android O Developer Preview is in beta section and therefore, it may not be able to be flashed on each and every device. Therefore, many people have faces different problems during the installation. Thus you can use the following method where you can learn how to flash Android O Developer Preview on any Nexus or Pixel device manually.
Flash Android O Developer Preview on any Nexus or Pixel device manually
This is much riskier than the above-mentioned guide and your phone may get damaged permanently if you do it wrongly.
- At first make sure you have connected the right device and downloaded the right image for your device. If you try to flash another image, your device will get damaged.
- Now you have to flash the bootloader file. Therefore, enter the following commands,
fastboot flash bootloader [bootloader_file_name_here].img fastboot flash radio [radio_file_name_here.img fastboot reboot-bootloader
- After that you have to flash the recovery file. The last command helps users to reboot the connected device to the bootloader mode. Make sure your device has done that correctly. Therefore, enter the following commands one by one.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
- Now you have done. However, those aforementioned commands do not format the partitions. Therefore, you can enter the following commands to do so.
fastboot flash cache cache.img fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- At last reboot your device from computer. For doing that, enter the following command.
That’s it! Your device should be running on Android O Developer Preview. Hope this simple tutorial would be helpful for you.